Monday, November 17, 2014

Honey Thyme Ice Cream

Depending on your tastes, honey thyme ice cream may either sound like a complete disaster or a rather interesting culinary experience. I was in an adventurous mood, so I was leaning towards the later while bracing myself for the former. For once, my adventurous spirit paid off. Honey and Thyme is my favorite ice cream flavor yet.

Honey and Thyme Ice Cream (courtesy of Bon Appetit)

2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup whole milk
15 large fresh thyme sprigs (I used dried thyme)
8 (2 x 1/2-inch) strips lemon peel (yellow part only)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

 Bring first 4 ingredients to boil in medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Cover and let steep 2 hours.

Whisk eggs and sugar in medium bowl. Add honey to cream mixture. Simmer over medium heat, stirring until honey dissolves. Gradually whisk cream mixture into egg mixture. Return custard to same pan. Stir over medium heat until custard thickens enough to coat spoon and thermometer reads 170°F to 175°F, about 4 minutes (do not boil). Strain into clean bowl; whisk in vanilla. Cover; chill until cold, at least 3 hours and up to 1 day.

Process custard in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to bowl, cover, and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours and up to 3 days.

I loved this ice cream, as did my husband. He said it was favorite ice cream yet, even beating out the sweet cream ice cream. Believe me, this is no easy feat. It is so good that I have been requested to make it for Thanksgiving dinner, which will be the ultimate test of its tastiness. For those of you wondering what it tastes like, it reminds me vaguely of the Indian dessert, Gulab Jamun. Perhaps because there is honey in both dishes. If you are really curious about what it tastes like though, just make it. Words cannot do this ice cream justice.

Until next time, keep calm and get your ice cream eating on.

No comments:

Post a Comment