Monday, January 12, 2015

The Most Disgusting Ice Cream Flavor in the World

Happy New Year!

One of my resolutions this year is to try to update this blog more frequently. When I originally started this blog, I said I would update it weekly, so I am going to try to stick to that. So far this year, I have already missed a week, but who knows, maybe I can keep up with the other 51 weeks. I hope the rest of you are fairing better than I am with their New Year's Resolutions.

This week I did not have a lot of ingredients just lying around, so I decided to make olive oil ice cream. All you need is milk, cream, salt, sugar, eggs and olive oil. All of these are ingredients that are a staple in my kitchen. Before you say anything, I know exactly what you are thinking, Olive Oil ice cream sounds disgusting. I tend to agree, but I had many friends who told me that it could be quite good. Guess What? My friends may have had good Olive Oil ice cream somewhere, but mine came out every bit as disgusting as it sounds. Hence the title of this post, The Most Disgusting Ice Cream Flavor in the World.

I made this ice cream using Equal Exchange Fairly Traded Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, but I think any will work (or not work, as the case may be). I just like to give you a scoop of political correctness with your ice cream. The olive oil was a Christmas gift from my mother. Unfortunately, while wonderful with a variety of other recipes, the olive oil does not hold out in ice cream. For your brave souls who would like to try the most disgusting ice cream flavor in the world, the steps are below.

Ingredients

  • 1 3/4 cups whole milk
  • ¼ cup heavy cream
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil

Preparation

  • Bring milk, cream, salt, and ½ cup sugar just to a simmer in a medium saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar.
  • Whisk egg yolks and 2 Tbsp. sugar in a medium bowl for about 2 minutes. 
  • Whisk ½ cup hot milk mixture into yolks. Whisk yolk mixture into remaining milk mixture in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, 2–3 minutes. 
  • Strain the mixture into a clean bowl and set it in the refrigerator to cool. 
  • Once it is cool, churn it in your ice cream mixture. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
  • Hopefully, I can give you a better recipe next week. Until next time, keep calm and get your ice cream eating on (just not olive oil ice cream)!


No comments:

Post a Comment