Sunday, April 5, 2015

Lavender Ice Cream

Happy Spring, and to those who celebrate, Happy Easter! Hopefully spring is here to stay, not least because this week's ice cream requires some flowers. As I head to my family house's for Easter Sunday dinner, I wanted to have an appropriate ice cream to take with me. I thought of the flowers and pastel colors usually associated with Easter and felt stumped. Then I remembered the lavender ice cream I had tried a few weeks ago, and decided to try to recreate my own.

Lavender Ice Cream
 
Ingredients:
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons lavender
1 cup sugar
5 egg yolks
 
Preparation:
Combine the first three ingredients in a pot and bring them to a slight boil over medium heat.
Cool and allow the lavender to steep in the cream mixture for two hours.
Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together.
Pour the cream mixture through a strainer and combine with the egg mixture.
Whisk the two mixtures together for two minutes.
Transfer the mixture back to a pot and cook on medium heat for four minutes, stirring constantly.
Strain the mixture once again and place in a clean bowl. Place the bowl in the refrigerator and allow the mixture to chill for a minimum of three hours and up to one day. Churn in your ice cream maker.
 
Overall, I am very pleased with this ice cream. It has a strong lavender flavor, but is still so delicious. One thing to note is that this ice cream will still remain white. Often the lavender ice creams you see in the store are purple. This leads me to believe that companies just add a lot of food coloring to their ice cream, as there is not nearly enough lavender in this ice cream to overpower the color of the cream or milk. So what do you say, get in the spring spirit and add some flowers to your ice cream.

Until next time, keep calm and get your ice cream eating on.



No comments:

Post a Comment